Pages

Tuesday, January 28, 2014

working in series

Sometimes I get on a roll when I'm making backgrounds.
January 2nd & 3rd were snow days here in Massachusetts, and I sat down with dozens of blank cards, my gelli plate, and a palette of blue, black and white paint.
Hours passed, and the wet mono-printed cards blanketed every surface of my studio, while the snow worked that same magic outdoors.

The first dozen were emblazoned with bold "2014" stamps, and then I ran out of steam.  I've never been much for a holiday theme.

It took several more snowy weekends, but I feel like I really hit my stride with this series, and I'm glad I had so many backgrounds to work with.

Liberal use of circles stamped on tissue paper, handwriting on transparencies, and found text from my magical box of words.















Show up.
Do the work.
Watch what unfolds.

13 comments:

  1. I love these colors--they just scream "Winter" but in the nice and warm looking out the window way. I received one of the 2014 cards in yesterday's mail. It's even better in person!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I envy you -- I cannot find my gelli block and we never have snow and we aren't even having a rainy season this year....whaaaa.....but I do love your backgrounds/cards. (And thank you for the cool postcard I just got from you). xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Show up. Do the work. Watch what unfolds." Pretty much the best words of advice ever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Karen for the winter card! chin up! carry on..! I like how your series unfolds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love these! I was happy to get "eggs in two baskets".

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this series, the cool colors are perfect

    ReplyDelete
  7. They're awesome cards. And I am so pleased to have gotten one in today's mail! Working in series is a great way to get a lot of art made in a short period of time. Very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am really liking this color palette from you, so muted but charged with energy. xox

    ReplyDelete
  9. When you're right, you're right! These are amazing and I love how your series developed. My p/c take forever to make cuz I don't employ the wonderful technique of working in a series. I have a long weekend ahead and had been thinking of pulling out my gelli. I'm totally inspired to do this!

    You know the best part? Even though this isn't your usual color palette, these cards are so you - your style shines through in every one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for my card, Karen! Made my day. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love them all...and I also love what you wrote at the end: Show up. Do the work. Watch what unfolds. I'll be using that quote soon and giving you the credit. :-)

    ReplyDelete