Pages

Sunday, September 29, 2013

Put an "S" on it

September was "Put an S on it month" in my Super Mail Artists group.
The swap challenge was to create postcards featuring an animal that starts with the letter S.

I chose Stoats as my animals.
I have to confess, stoats fall into the category of animals I only know about from reading "The Wind in the Willows" and as I result, I wasn't entirely sure they weren't fictitious.
Mandy assured me that yes, they are real, but no, they don't wear waistcoats.

As it turns out, they are not only real, but live in my state.  Who knew?
I have never seen one in my yard, but this week they are abundant in my studio.



(I might have to save this one for the "animals in chairs" swap later this month)


(this one has two S creatures - stoat AND sea monster.  does that get me a triple word score?)
 They're rather cute, aren't they?
They may be vicious killers of backyard bunnies and birds, but in my mind they will only ever be slightly dimwitted guards dropping stones off the edge of Toad Hall onto poor unsuspecting Toad.

9 comments:

  1. These are all wonderful, I just don't know how you think of them, let alone find time to make them - and you always seem to find just the animal or other item you need to make your amusing picture. You always give me a smile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to look up "stoat" to see if we have them too, because I learned all native wildlife in college, with no mention of stoat. But I learned it as "short-tailed weasel," which we definitely have. Gotta love those mustelidae. I was giggling at breakfast so I showed my kids your work, too. We were all amused by the stoat in the office chair. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. All the cards are fabulous, of course! But, we might have to have a capybara vs.stoat contest for who wins in the cuteness category... :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even though I didn't know stoats existed until just now, I would like to disagree with the fact that they don't wear waistcoats.

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS - "If you like it then you shoulda put an 'S' on it" - Beyonce

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, you learn something new every day! I had no idea what a stoat was. When your first mentioned it, I thought maybe it was a kind of goat...I guess just because it rhymes with goad, I don't know!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stoats....who knew!? I agree, they're rather adorable and make for some great art!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. These cards are fabulous! I'm sad that they don't wear waistcoats. Most animals (like most people) look great in formal attire.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay, I posted a comment to this post last week and now I'm irked that it's not here. You think I'm not reading but I am!

    I'm going to go lie down.

    ReplyDelete