Pages

Monday, September 12, 2011

Prompted

It's index-card show-and-tell time again!  I  played along with Tammy's prompts all week and made 6 cards.  I've never really worked with prompts of any kind before, and I'm finding it challenging.  There are days I want to throw in the towel and just go back to smearing paint randomly. As I look at this week's stack of cards I realize they are more like journal pages than the mini collages I was making over the summer.  Each card is capturing my thoughts and feelings (be they deep or trivial) about something going on in my life right now.

Here's the week in review.  (regular readers have seen the first two already, but bear with me)

MONDAY 9/5
Prompt: Chess
Okay, I know it's not a chess piece.  I don't play chess.  I have no head for strategy.  I made my pawn look more like a playing piece from "Sorry" since that's about as complex as my game playing gets.


TUESDAY 9/6
Prompt:  Water
I talked about this one at length here

WEDNESDAY 9/7
Go to bed, go directly to bed, do not make art, do not set foot in the studio.  It was the first day since...April?....that I didn't make any art at all.  Not even a funny index card about not having time to make an index card.  Nothing.

THURSDAY 9/8
Prompt:  Faux Quilt
Jake was SOOOO happy with my decision to not make art on Wednesday.  It was cold and dark and rainy and I curled up on the couch.  As soon as he heard the rustle of our favorite puffy plaid blanket he came running to pin me down for the night.  I made this index card about in on Thursday.  It's no much in the way of art, but I cracked myself up.


THURSDAY 9/8 - part 2
Prompt: overreact
In which I find myself having imaginary conversations in my head, making assumptions about what other household members are thinking, and getting crazy emotional about it, unbeknownst to them. (a.k.a. "just another Thursday")


FRIDAY 9/9
Prompt: Disco
It was Friday and I was so sick of the work week.  I took a picture of my desk (as in my day-job-pay-the-bills desk) and when I got home I stamped out the chorus to the Talking Heads song "Life During Wartime".  Work is seriously cutting into my art time.


SATURDAY 9/10
Worked on art projects all day long and totally forgot to make an index card

SUNDAY 9/11
Prompt:  Pizza
I bought these cupcake liners at Target because they were SO pretty.  But I don't eat cupcakes. In between the triangles I wrote "I'd rather have pizza"



The current week's prompts are posted over at Daisy Yellow, plus links to other artists who are playing along this month.  Can't wait to get started on the next batch!

4 comments:

  1. Great interpretations, and I love your description of the process, they are really journal like, just chuckled away at overreacted! So great. xox corrine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, great collection of cards. Well done for sticking with the prompts, you have inspired me to try that approach for next week :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting -- love the cards and all the black and red. Love the kitty and the cupcake liners.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wednesday cracked me up. I love how bold and graphic some of these are! and I say that Saturday totally makes up for Wednesdays slack off {wink wink}. Have a great day!
    ~Dawn

    ReplyDelete